Monday, January 5, 2009

Feral Dogs

Back home in Milwaukee I have three friends, Linda, Joyce and Gee, that started a feral cat program at the Wisconsin Humane Society. It is a great program - check it out!

This program helps to curb the surplus animal population by spaying and neutering feral cats. This allows the cats their freedom, while making sure the numbers don't get out of control.


After spending a second year in India I am thinking they should start a similar program here for the dogs. One thing India has plenty of, besides roaming cows, is roaming dogs. It is obvious that no one owns most of these dogs (I have seen a couple with collars) and they are pretty common to see sleeping in sunny spots. They truly resemble the cats I see in my neighborhood. Just relaxing and enjoying life - not a care in the world. Except for the traffic and the rising number of animals. I am certain that in a short time there will be so many that although they seem tame today - could become mean due to lack of available food.


There is one young family of dogs on the St. Xavier's campus. You see them playing in the courtyard - dad proudly watching his family while mom rests in the sun. It is very peaceful. I am not allowed to pet them or even play with them and it makes me lonely for my dog Gracie back home. They do not seem too underfed and I am guessing living on a college campus assures them food. Even if I have been warned not to pet them - doesn't mean the residents don't. That makes me feel a little bit better. There is a hawk that lives on campus that keeps a close eye on the family. I am guessing he is weighing in to see if they are worth the effort. It may be easier for them to just take on a squirrel instead. There are lots of them on campus as well and they are never too happy when people sit near their trees.

But it's the dog family that has my heart. The puppies are cute, fuzzy and cuddly right now. I do find it interesting with so many dogs roaming that they all appear to be the same breed. Not a collie, lab or poodle to be found. Paris Hilton would have a hard time filling her purse in this environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment