Thursday, January 1, 2009

Pass the Tums - PLEASE!

We had a slower start today. It is New Years and the students have the day off.

I was surprised by my friend, Purvey (Pinky) coming for a visit and to hit the shopping malls. Ashley, whose luggage never made it to India, needed some clothes. Since she is above average in height compared to the India women she has been having difficulty finding jeans that cover her ankles. Not a culture requirement - just a personal one. Being 5'4" myself I can honestly say I have never had that problem. So Pinky took us to a couple of shopping malls where Ashley was able to pick up her needed supplies. We returned from shopping in time to head out with a group of students from St. Xavier's College and Susan George, another faculty member. They took us by bike (not bicycles but motorbikes) to a local Gujarat restaurant. Kelly and I took a rickshaw since there weren't enough seats on the bike. I have seen up to 6 people on one scooter here - but since I am the equivalent in size to about 4 India residents I felt a bit more comfortable in the green and yellow rickshaw...Vince on the other hand rode with Susan. I just want to mention that Vince was wearing a bright fire-engine red T-shirt. I believe this is the real reason that Susan received had to pay a 100 rupee (about 2 US dollars) fine to a traffic cop and had nothing to do with her disobeying the signal. Yes - I blame Vince.

On the way Kellie and I saw an elephant traveling the roads. No one will believe me since the camera I brought along had dead batteries. OK - rule from now on - always check the batteries before heading out on excursions!

Once again I was tricked into believing the spices were mild and would not upset my stomach. However, an Irish/German stomach is much wimpier than an India one. The food did taste wonderful, but I am hoping my tongue recovers before I return home.

In the evening the team was honored to attend the Eucharistic Celebration of two Jesuit's making their final vows. This is the last step before becoming full Jesuit priests. The ceremony was beautiful and the music/singing well done. I was impressed by the number of community members that attended the celebration.

After the service there was a reception in the courtyard. Rice, chicken and fruit were served. I thought I had a safe tray with a a piece of flat bread, some rice, and a chicken dish that resembled Chicken Chow Mein. I steered clear of the chicken curry and was hoping that this would settle my stomach down. Well to quote Britanny, "Oops, I did it again!". So the package of tums that I picked up at the corner Walgreen's and packed in my suitcase are now being put to good use.

Tomorrow is a teaching day with classes starting at 9am. I am charging batteries for camera's in my room. It now resembles a poor imitation of radio-shack. Cables and equipment everywhere.

Oh - I forgot to tell you my favorite part of the day. I discovered a thick comforter in the closet of Father Joe's room (that is where I am staying). I aired it out today and it is now on my slab - er - bed. I also took the pillow case off the pillow in the bed and replaced it with my folded up the fleece blanket. Finally, I used my aroma therapy eucalyptis on the bed and pillow - the room now has a very nice home feeling to it. If I were staying longer I would place some pictures on the walls and the room would be officially "mine". If only I had packed my Lord of the Rings calendar! Oh well, maybe next year!

1 comment:

  1. Carole,

    I am feeling sorry for your stomach, especially if you have to manage for another week or two.

    I don't know if you take any other medications that would pose a problem, but the acid suppressants like Prilosec are more effective for lots of folks and have very minimal side effects. Might be worth a try. You would notice the difference in just a day or two.

    Miss you, but delighted that you are having another extraordinary adventure. Regards to Pinky, Susan, and the rest of the Xavier crew.

    ReplyDelete