Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Bill's march on Rome

Our final day in Rome, Bill Thorn took us around and gave us history and a tour. If you are ever going to Rome try and book him for a tour. It is obviously a city he loves and he knows the background better than anything. We visited the Spanish Steps and a number of fountains (OK I wasn't paying that good of attention - too busy taking photos) before heading to St. Peter's Square. It was awesome! One opportunity I didn't pass up - but probably should have - was the walk to the top of the Cathedral in the Vatican. It is 320 stairs after an elevator ride. I could have saved 2 Euro by walking all the way up - but that would have been an additional 200 stairs...not sure if they have paramedics in Rome and I didn't want to find out.

The stairs on the way up twist and turn, slant and weave. I wonder how the Pope makes it up those stairs? Maybe that's why after a short time they all seem to hunch over a bit? Hmmm, something to check into.

So after our trip up the stairs I said good by to St. Peter - he actually has a statue there - keys and all! Steve and I then decided to find the Coliseum before we were finished with our tour. Steve is my walking buddy on these trips and the person I put all my faith in. He reads the map and I look for streets or landmarks. Sometimes when the words get too small I read for him - I am not sure if I should let him know the words are too small for me too - or let him think I can still read them....in any case we found the Forum and shortly after the Coliseum. Unfortunately all the tours were finished for the day - but we were able to walk around it an peer in through the gate and fenced in walls. I felt like the little kids trying to see into a construction site. But even this was worth it. I am amazed that they have kept this for so long - I mean walls were falling down and who would know that this could some day be a significant landmark that most of the world would pay to come see.

We finished and heading back to our hotel crashing a party of some sort at a cafe - I have the picture to prove it! A performance group had just finished singing a song - holding the final note when Steve and I walked past, I snapped a photo as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment