Monday, June 8, 2009

Oh My Aching Calves!

You may remember as a child your father (or mother) telling you that they had to walk 5 miles uphill - both ways - to get to school. Well I think if that is the case the school must have been located in Italy. It was a true day of rest - Judy took the lab key from me so that I couldn't work so I decided to explore the countryside instead. I grabbed my backpack and some iced tea and headed out. As I went I hummed the backpack song "I like to go a wandering upon the hills so green, and when I go I like to take my backpack on my back...tradaleee....tradalaa....tradalee...tra da lalalala....trad da leee...trad da laaaa...my backpack on my back. OK girl scouts was good for something. Anyway I soon found out that every where I went I had to deal with hills - and I swear to you they were always going up! I don't think anything goes down. I was able to get some good pictures and managed to not get lost (a break through for me). By the time I got back to town I was hot and really wanted to sit and rest. Instead I heard a "come on mom, we're going to the waterfall!" The girls on the trip have taken to calling me mom- which is fine. So I followed them to the water fall - you guessed it - uphill. However the area they wanted to swim in was at the bottom of a cliff. Not to be undone I scampered down the steep incline and only suffered a minor injury when I put my hand down on a pricker bush. That darn pricker is still imbedded firmly in my right index finger. I hope it works its way out before too long.

Anyway, the waterfall was beautiful and the area was cool. I sat and took pictures as the girls swam and explored. Soon the remaining students showed up and the area was swarming with Americans. Dark clouds and the threat of rain chased this adventurer back up the slope and to the safety of my room. I didn't want the camera to get ruined.

Evening came and I had a nice dinner with the graduate students. Afterwards I treated to gelato. My first of the trip. I can't say I didn't like it because it was very good - but it really wasn't what I was expecting. I still like the India ice cream better. But don't tell anyone - I don't want to get kicked out of Italy!

Afterwards Jacki and I hiked back up to the waterfall (yes it was about 11pm and very dark). We made it to the ledge and then figured it was probably in our best interest to not try and scamper down the cliff. We headed back to the piazza. When I finally climbed into bed that night my calves were achy - but I was glad for the day I had and that Judy held the key captive. I really enjoyed myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment