Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Planes, trains and automobiles…..

So we had finally left the plane and its horrible food behind. We took a bus to the terminal, had picked up our luggage and managed to find Bill in the crowds (the yellow shirt really helped). Now was the final part of the adventure. The train. I have experience with trains thanks to all the trips to Atlanta, Georgia with the robotics team. This wasn’t too much different, except no one spoke English and the signs were in Italian. Bill had arranged for an Italian faculty member named Irene (pronounced air-re-anne – roll that r) to accompany us. I purchased 12 tickets for the train, but by the time we hit the platform we were a group of 15. As Vince and Irene waited on the platform with the students, Bill and I went for the 3 additional tickets.

Then the train arrived. There was no way I was going to get the tickets and get on the train in time. Bill did something I have not ever seen him do – he told me to just go get on the train and when the conductor asked for tickets to just look dumbfounded and have Irene take care of it.

How do you say prison in Italian?

I ran (yes – you read that right – ran) to the train and jumped on just as the doors were getting ready to close. We were in two separate cars. I could see Steve and his group through the door. Thankfully Irene was with me. Next to me was the conductor. The train was very crowded and I was really trying to avoid eye-contact in case I inspired him to ask me for my ticket.

At the first stop I got a look from Steve through the glass door that clearly was a “do we get off here” type of look. I asked Irene and then signed ‘no stay there’ to him. Shortly after we started I felt a tap on my shoulder. I knew this was it – I was busted and would be thrown off at the next station. I looked and it was the conductor – but he was smiling at me and simply said – so you know sign? Except he hadn’t spoke. He was hearing impaired and had caught me signing to Steve. I spent the next 15 minutes ‘talking’ with him and finding out that he had lost his hearing when he was young and never learned to speak. He asked me where I was from and when I told him America he smiled and signed – President Obama. Apparently he approved.

It was a neat way for me to start my Rome adventure. He never did ask me for a ticket – which was good since I didn’t want to offend my new friend. When the time came to exit he held the door for me and helped me off. We signed farewell and he waved as the train pulled away.

That was nice.

A short distance (in Bill measurement) and we arrived at our hotel, greeted by the provost and one of the Priests from the program.

After a short wait (it was 11 and the rooms would not be ready until noon) we finally got our room keys and this part of the adventure was complete.

We still have to get the equipment to Cagli, but I have two days to rest first. That should help.

No comments:

Post a Comment