Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Shopping in Cagli


I have decided that the best way to speak Italian is to just add an 'o' to the end of words. For instance, when I went into the stationary story to get some envelopes for class I simply asked for and envelop-o - I could tell the store manager was so impressed with my quick grasp of the language as he reached into the back room and brought out the item I had asked for...a small paper sack. OK - it was close, but no cigar. After a few more minutes and my excellent skill in charades I finally walked out with sexta (six) small envelopes - and some bright yellow poster board. Which I did want. I put my grade school teacher skills to use as I setup the lab equipment for check out. The students seem to like it and it has made a big difference.

My next step was to find the back stage area of the theater. I really wanted to see what it looked like, dressing rooms, storage, lights, booms and wings. Those in theater will understand. This place is fantastic. The stage is racked - which is how all stages started out. In layman's terms it means that it slants down towards the audience. That is where the term 'up stage' came from. The theater seats over 500 people and has individual box seats available. The fly and wing space is huge - individual dressing rooms for up to 3 people and a small amount of storage. Obviously this theater was decided for traveling groups and not a local group. The light board operates from the back of the audience and is computerized. But the rest of the theater has the century flavor and style. I was in heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment